Monday, December 14, 2009

Sunday Setlist :: 12-13-09

Advent Sunday number 3 came together despite our lack of rehearsal. We spent our normal Wednesday night rehearsal time (as well as 3 hours on Saturday) rehearsing for the Christmas Special we did last night.

One thing that hit me in preparation for Sunday morning was how easy it is to sing the Christmas carols on auto-pilot. Though it's easy, it's risky. We miss so much when we don't connect with what we're singing.

The song that impacted me the most was Charles Wesley's "Hark, The Herald Angels Sing." I just timed myself, and I can recite the first verse in less than ten seconds without thinking about a word I'm saying. Ironic, considering the first word of the song means "listen attentively."

I confess. I can't remember singing that song and letting the weight of these words hit me or the the good news of them lift me up:

Mild, He lays his glory by
Born that man no more may die
Born to raise the sons of earth
Born to give them second birth
Hark! The herald angels sing
"Glory to the newborn King!"

This week I led worship in the 2nd and 3rd services.

Team: Aaron on drums, Brady on bass, Mitch on electric gtr, Cris on keys, Seth on piano, Philip on acoustic gtr, Bren and vox, special guest Josh Ello on violin, and Travis on acoustic guitar and vox.

Setlist:
  • Blessed Be Your Name - Matt Redman [Bb]
  • Angel Medley: Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (Wesley/Mendelssohn) [F-G] - Angels We Have Heard On High (Traditional French Carol/Chadwick/Barnes) [G] - Angels From the Realms of Glory (Montgomery/Smart) [A]
  • We Fall Down - Tomlin [E]
  • Jesus Name Above All Names - Hearn [E] - Transition to this was a little shaky. I had trouble getting into 3/4 in my head.
  • He Is With You - Ronnie Freeman [C] This has become the theme song for this series. It wasn't intentional, but it's hitting home with lots of folks. (Unfortunately, Ronnie Freeman's version isn't available on iTunes. The link goes to Mandissa's version. Here are the lyrics.)
Read set lists from other churches at FredMcKinnon.com.

Pastor Neil Tomba blogs about the service here.

Were you at the service? I would love to hear your comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment